Hamilton County, Indiana
Hamilton County is currently the fastest-growing county in Indiana and 2nd most populated county in Indiana.
After the American Revolutionary War established US sovereignty over the territory of the upper midwest, the new federal government defined the Northwest Territory in 1787 which included the area of present-day Indiana.
William Conner was the first white settler in the county. In the summer of 1822, after realizing there were enough settlers in the area, Conner and other settlers applied to the Indiana Legislature for a charter authorizing them to become a separate and independent county under Indiana law. The application was presented to the 1822–23 session of the General Assembly and the act was passed and approved by the governor on January 8, 1823. The act took effect on the first Monday in April (April 7), 1823. The county commissioners first met on May 5, 1823, at the house of William Conner. Conner’s house would also serve as the county circuit court. The county was named after Alexander Hamilton, the first secretary of the treasury
Most Belgian immigration to Indiana occurred in the northwestern part of the state in Lake County and Porter County. However, in the 1890s, a significant number of Belgian immigrants also settled in the Noblesville area in Hamilton County. Similarly, chain migration led to numerous first generation Serbian immigrants who had settled in Indianapolis, and their Indiana born children, to move to Arcadia, Carmel, Sheridan, Noblesville, and Cicero between roughly 1890 and 1910.
Like most of Indiana, the area was also heavily German-American, with Germans being the second largest single ethnic group in the county at the time. They were second only to “native born whites” (as they were called at the time) whose ancestry went back to the original Thirteen Colonies and who were the largest ethnic group in Hamilton County at the turn of the century.